Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Okay, time to stop sulking

And from Maurice Saxby in Magpies:

'Read this great book and be intrigued.  Reread it and savour fully its mental, psychological and emotional riches.  It is worth it.'



Well, I see to have done what most bad book bloggers do. I've had a hissy fit, prompted by some less than perfect reviews on the frequently poisonous Goodreads. And to all those authors who have been trolling reviews of their own work or perhaps that of adversaries, shame on you! But I understand that there is a program out there which can actually de-anonymitise the reviews, so some trolls are in for a very nasty surprise when they discover they have been exposed as the source of the five-star rave review of their latest work. (it happened on Amazon a litle while ago.)

And I've carried on as though I'm owed a good review. Please forgive me. For a man who has written a novel using 'the nature of humour' as its theme, I've been showing a remarkable lack of humour in my posts about Tigers on the Beach of late.

As for the world's funniest joke, which I have included at the end of the novel, I told it last night at an AWG event where I was sharing a comedy panel with Steve Vizard and Peter Moon. No one laughed. And yet this is the joke that I told to Shaun Micallef, making him burst into laughter, which is what I do when Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell is on TV. It's the funniest, sharpest, silliest show on the ABC. I honestly didn't know it was possible to shoe-horn that many jokes into a show. Mad as Hell
is quite an achievement, though I worry sometimes that worry that there are so many jokes, it might be difficult for the viewer to catch them all. Here is where ABC iView comes in handy. you can enjoy the show over and over, though I'm slow on the pause control and I still haven't worked out what the flash frames are about.  Actually, here's one. I apologise to anyone I might have upset and no breach of copyright is intended.



One of the flash frames from Mad as Hell. I don't know who any of them are, though the guy to the right of the mid-screen white icon does look a bit like Ian Thorpe. If it's him, even just a photoshop, someone is in an awful lot of trouble.



5 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

Actually, I've just taken a look at the four reviews you have so far on Goodreads and really, you're very lucky. Even the ones who didn't love it to bits were polite about it and said there were things they did like. Yes, Goodreads CAN be poisonous, but this one hasn't had any poison so far. I've had literally every rating from one star to five for my first novel and the one star reviews from those disappointed it wasn't an urban romance with a lovely vampire in it somewhere and far less polite than those less than enthusiastic reviews you got. You just have to live with it. :)

DougMacLeod said...

Sue, thanks for this. Had I put more thought into it, I certainly wouldn't have posted that 'bumpy ride' review. But I'm trying to be more diligent about posting, since the release of a big new title isd such a difficult time for an author. I've never experienced the pain of giving birth, so it's a dubious metaphor, but it does seem like having a new kid out there and oner becomes overprotective. You'll notice more posts and probably less contemplation. I also think I will avoid Goodreads. The critic that hurt was the one that accused me of using the word 'fag', among other gay hate words. I would never do that. The word 'fag' does not appear in the book. And the two gay characters in the ensemble are, I think, drawn sympathetically. Though perhaps I should have made that a little conversation between the critic and me, rather than spewing it all over my blog.
You are always the voice of reason, Sue, and I thank you for the reality check.

DougMacLeod said...

Sue, thanks for this. Had I put more thought into it, I certainly wouldn't have posted that 'bumpy ride' review. But I'm trying to be more diligent about posting, since the release of a big new title isd such a difficult time for an author. I've never experienced the pain of giving birth, so it's a dubious metaphor, but it does seem like having a new kid out there and oner becomes overprotective. You'll notice more posts and probably less contemplation. I also think I will avoid Goodreads. The critic that hurt was the one that accused me of using the word 'fag', among other gay hate words. I would never do that. The word 'fag' does not appear in the book. And the two gay characters in the ensemble are, I think, drawn sympathetically. Though perhaps I should have made that a little conversation between the critic and me, rather than spewing it all over my blog.
You are always the voice of reason, Sue, and I thank you for the reality check.

DougMacLeod said...

Sue,
Some of those reviews on GOodreads are synopses of reviews that really weren't polite or pleasant. That said, the reviewers seem too have decided the book is okay now, some lovely notices in Magpies etc.

DougMacLeod said...

Sue,
Some of those reviews on GOodreads are synopses of reviews that really weren't polite or pleasant. That said, the reviewers seem too have decided the book is okay now, some lovely notices in Magpies etc.